What Do I Need Council Approval For?

  • Bird Cages (Aviaries)
  • Pools (above & below)
  • Decking around pools
  • Spas
  • Shade Structures
  • Pergola’s/Patio’s/Carports/Sheds
  • Sea Containers
  • Re-Roof
  • Bathroom Upgrades
  • Openings in external wall (eg sliding doors, windows)
  • Internal alterations
  • Conversion of windows to sliding doors.
  • Retaining Walls

What Don't I Need Council Approval For?

  • Fences (ie boundary)
  • Temporary Site Sheds (during construction)
  • Garden sheds max 3m x 3m
  • Sheds outside the townsite, used solely for agriculture purposes other than intensive agricultural use.

How Close Can I Build To My Site Boundary?

For wall lengths up to 9 metres the required side and rear boundary clearance is 1 metre. For any wall length exceeding this the required clearance is 1.5 metres.

Generally non-combustible roof sheeting/eaves can extend to 750mm from the side boundary. Open shade cloth roof structures can extend to the side or rear property boundary. Alternate provisions apply for corner allotments and you are advised to contact Council’s Town Planning Department in this regard.

How Close Can I Build To My Front boundary?

Generally the building line is 6 metres from your front boundary (not the kerb). For any encroachments into the 6 metres formal planning approval is required (to go closer than 3 metres requires a report to and approval by Council at its Ordinary Meeting).

What Plans Do I Need To Submit With A Building Licence Application?

  • A dimensioned site plan showing the proposed work and any other existing buildings on site.
  • Floor/roof plan.
  • Elevations of the proposed work.
  • A section or detail identifying all structural components of the proposed work.

Council may ask for further information depending on the extent of the proposed works.