GRV Revaluation 2014

A full revaluation of the GRV (town) properties was carried out this year. These revaluations happen every 5 years and it is very open to large fluctuations in property values. This year developed properties have seen a significant increase, whereas vacant land has reduced. The GRV is based on land plus improvements, the more infrastructure on a property the greater the value. Please be aware Council DOES NOT control or influence this value - this is done by the Valuer General.

The GRV or Gross Rental Value on properties and is a figure that the Valuer General believes you would receive if the property was rented. For Example a GRV of $6,760 equates to a rental value of $130 per week.

Council then applies a rate in the dollar on GRV properties. This year that figure increased from $0.09c in the dollar to $0.092c an increase of 2.5% - if your rates have increased by more than 2.5% it will be due to an increase in your GRV. To work out your rates simply multiply your GRV by the rate in the dollar – example $6,760 X $0.092 = $621.92

Most farm properties have only increased by 3% or a little less as these values have changed very little from the previous valuation.

If you wish to lodge an objection please complete the following form and submit to the Valuer Generals' Office.


Form Objection to Valuation

VALUER GENERAL’S Guide to rating and taxing values

Objections And Appeals

The Valuer General’s office provides periodic valuations of all properties within the district. If you wish to object to the valuation of the property, this must be done within 60 days of the original issue date of the rate notice from Council. Rates must be paid by the nominated due dates even if an objection has been lodged. A refund amount will be issued if applicable.


The Valuation of Land Act makes provision for “Any person liable to pay any rate or tax assessed in respect of land who is dissatisfied with a valuation of such land made under this Act, may serve upon the Valuer-General or any rating or taxing authority a written objection to the valuation”. The Act also extends the right of objection to the authorised representative of such a person.
Generally the statutory liability for the payment of a rate or tax falls to the owner. “Owner” is defined in the various rating and taxing acts. As part of the decision process in considering whether to lodge an objection, where any doubt exists as to the person liable to pay the rate or tax, reference should be made to the specific Act under which the rate or tax has been issued. Only one objection in respect of any one valuation may be made during any one period of twelve months.


The objection must be lodged within sixty (60) days after the issue of a rating or taxing notice (where the valuation is used as the basis for calculation of the rate or tax), or notification of the making of the valuation in the Government Gazette. While the Valuer-General may, after considering the circumstances, accept objections outside this period, it is likely the matter will be treated as an informal query and rights for review will be lost. A refusal by the Valuer-General to extend time to lodge an objection may be referred to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) by request through the Valuer-General.


The Valuation of Land Act states that an objection may be on the grounds that a valuation is not fair or is unjust, inequitable or incorrect, whether by itself or in comparison with other valuations in force.


Complaints or concerns about the amount of rates payable or the increase in rates or charges are not valid grounds for objection.


An objection can be made by letter or by filling out the attached Objection to Valuation form and sending to the Perth or Bunbury Office of the Landgate Property & Valuations Branch, as appropriate.
A valid objection will:

  1.  Name the owner of the land, and if the objector is not the owner, state the objector’s name and relationship to the owner, such as managing agent or company director. In these circumstances an authority to act for the owner may be required if not supplied with this objection form.
  2. Supply the full address of the property including street number and name, postal district and local government.
  3. State the type of valuation, Unimproved Value (UV) or Gross Rental Value (GRV) and the actual valuation to which the objection is made. NB: An objection cannot be made against rates or taxes payable under this process. It must be undertaken under the provisions of the relevant legislation.
  4. STATE FULLY AND IN DETAIL reasons in support of the grounds of objection (reasons must be given – to state that a value is too high is not, by itself, grounds for objection).Failure to comply with the foregoing requirements may render the objection invalid.

NOTE: The objection process is more efficient where you also supply the postal address for service of notices and a contact telephone number.

You are not liable for any fees when lodging an objection.

Where the Valuer-General decides to allow an objection, wholly or in part, you will be advised of any consequent amendment of valuation, and where the Valuer-General decides to disallow an objection, wholly or in part, you will also be advised of the time within which and the manner in which a review of the decision may be obtained.

 This information of Objections and Appeals has been taken from Landgate's Objections to Valuations publication updated in 2013